Monday, May 4, 2009

How to turn lead pencils into diamonds

Tomorrows lecture concerns more examples of phase diagrams and using thermodynamic relations, such as dG=-SdT + VdP
to give a quantitative description of features. One goal is to show how knowing just the free energy difference between graphite and diamond at ambient pressure and the differences in density between the two it is possible to get a reasonably reliable estimate of the pressure needed to convert graphite into diamond.

I also introduce superconductors as a new phase of matter and their phase diagram in magnetic field. Here is the latest version of the lecture.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I agree with you anymore. I have been talking pound for pound with my friend about, he though it is really interesting as well. Keep up with your good work, I would come back to you.


    Web Designing Karachi

    ReplyDelete